Monday, August 23, 2010

Crazy Restoration #1

I just finished working on restoring this beautiful old crazy quilt, by using silk neckties. The quilt was originally made out of silks and velvets but after 100 years, the silks had frayed pretty badly.

For example, here's a piece of silk that I removed because it had frayed to such an extent that there were holes in it.

Underneath, I discovered that this wasn't the first time it had been patched!

You can see the original lining below the red and brown fabrics and it amazes me that it all has lasted this long.

Here's the finished product:

And again, from a different angle:
Quilts By Kate

No comments: